I have several L298N Motor Drivers, that are different. Because the L298N is just the chip, but the boards then have capacitors and diodes and stuff, that make the use easier. I decided that the biggest is the best, as it has a heatsink, that gets hot when there is 2A flowing through it (5-7V).
It also converts the supply voltage (12V port) to 5V (5V input port). This can cause problems – if supply voltage is lower than 7(?), then the 5V is lower than 5V and can cause problems on Arduino. This can be removed by disconnecting the jumper, circled in red in the first image.
This is the first one from: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-Dual-H-Bridge-DC-Stepper-Motor-Drive-Controller-Board-Module-L298N-for-arduino-Free-Shipping/1952444648.html?spm=a2g0s.90423220.127.116.11424c4d0PW3D4
I also have the second one.
In case the product goes missing, here is the transcript and a screenshot.
L298N is a high voltage, high current motor driver chip. The chip uses 15-pin package. The main features are: high voltage, maximum operating voltage up to 46V; output current, instantaneous peak current up to 3A, continuous operating current of 2A; rated power 25W. Contains two H-bridge high-voltage and high current full-bridge driver can be used to drive DC motors and stepper motors, relays, coils and other inductive load; using standard logic level signal control; having two enable control terminal, in allows input signal without being affected or disable the device has a logic supply input, the internal logic circuit part of the work at a low voltage; can be an external sense resistor, the amount of change back to the control circuit. Drive motor using L298N chip, the chip can drive a two-phase stepper motors or four-phase stepper motor, can drive two DC motors.
1.The module uses L298N chip as the main drive, with driving ability, low heat, anti-jamming features.
2.It can be used to take power through the built-in 78M05 drive power part of the work, but in order to avoid damage to the regulator chip, when a drive voltage greater than 12V, please use an external 5V logic supply.
3. Uses high-capacity filter capacitors, freewheeling diode protection, reliability can be improved.
- motor drive module is very suitable for use in battery powered smart car, toy car, robot and so on, the supply voltage of 2V~10V can simultaneously drive two DC motor or 1 4 line 2 phase stepper motor, can achieve positive and speed control function, each current to 1.5A continuous current. The peak current is up to 2.5A, with thermal protection and automatic recovery.
- Product highlights:
- 1 imported professional motor driver chip, built-in low conduction resistance switch MOS, heating minimum, without radiator, small volume, energy saving, is your ideal choice for battery powered.
- (L298N internal transistor switch, low efficiency, high fever, without heat, heavy volume, the market of L298N is easy to burn out, do not use the original chips, this product can be the perfect replacement.)
- 2 dual 1.5A*2, peak current to 2.5A, built-in overheat protection circuit, do not be afraid of motor stalling burn, automatic recovery after falling temperature. (the smart car voltage and current on the market are within this range)
- 3 small size, light weight, 0 standby current, is your ideal choice for vehicle model
- Product parameters:
- H bridge motor dual drive, and can drive two DC motor or 1 line 4 phase stepper motor;
- The voltage of the power supply module 2V-10V;
- The signal input voltage 1.8-7V;
- Single channel current of 1.5A, peak current up to 2.5A, low standby current (less than 0.1uA);
- The built-in common conduction circuit, the input end is suspended, the motor will not malfunction;
- The built-in overheat protection circuit with hysteresis effect (TSD), there is no need to worry about motor stall;
- Product size: 24.7*21*5mm (LxWxH), ultra small size, suitable for assembly and vehicle;
- Mounting hole diameter: 2 mm